Friday, October 21, 2011

Minestrone Soup






I have had several people ask me for this recipe lately. It is one that I make not only during the cold weather months, but all year round. I love the way it makes your house smell, that it is full of good vegetables, protein, and fiber, and that my kids will eat it. It is one of my very favorite soup recipes and I love how the fresh parmesan cheese on top makes all the other flavors blend together.


This soup is also great to freeze. My family typically only eats half a recipe. So I will take half of the soup out and freeze before I add the pasta. If you freeze the soup with the pasta it ends up soggy and my husband will not eat soggy pasta.

1 lb ground beef, browned
1/2 yellow onion chopped

2 stalks of celery chopped

1 green pepper diced

4 carrots sliced

1 quart of water

1 28 oz can diced tomatoes

2 8 oz can tomato sauce

1 can beef broth

15 oz can garbanzo beans

15 oz can kidney beans

1 Tbsp ground basil

1/2 tsp oregano

1 Tbsp parsley

3/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp garlic salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1 1/4 C mostaccioli pasta (or whatever pasta you have on hand)

fresh parmesan cheese


Brown meat with onion, celery, and green pepper in a large soup pot. Add tomatoes water, carrots, tomato sauce, broth, and spices. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Add drained and rinsed beans and pasta. Cook 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh parmesan cheese.




No comments:

Post a Comment